Utah Association of Conservation Districts
Increase the implementation of soil health practices in Utah, through demonstration, outreach, and evaluation.
- Increase localized knowledge of soil health in Utah's various farming systems.
- Evaluate the impacts of implementing soil health on agronomic, economic, environmental, and social factors of farm or ranch
- Create a support network and mentor program
- Establishment of 16 on-farm demonstration sites across the state
- Collection and evaluation data from several soil health systems in various farm systems for all key factors
- Development of the next set of Soil Health Mentors for the state
- Collaboration between various farm advisors, Extension Agents, Conservation Planners, and Crop Advisors
- Development of factsheets, videos, and other educational materials on soil health for Utah
A Soil Health System will be developed unique to each demo site
Evaluation of water use/savings of various soil health practices in irrigated and dryland systems
Working with International Rescue Committee's (IRC) New Roots Farmers to implement soil health among HU in urban agriculture settings
Annual Producer Interviews and surveys will be used to collect economic and social data
Two demonstration sites will be used to collect water quality data
On-Farm Soil Health Demonstration Trial